Saturday, September 24, 2011

Pocketship - Time To Get Started

Hi.  Thanks for checking in and welcome.  This blog will chronicle my mid-life adventure - building a 14'10" wooden daysailor know as Pocketship.

Here's a few pics of a Pocketship that's already been completed:




Very large cockpit for a small sailboat...



Dad and I built a small 15' open sailing/pulling boat a few years ago. Well, Dad actually built most of it in my garage as I was out trying to get a new business off the ground.  That boat is called a Skerry.  Purchased as a kit from Chesapeake Light Craft in Annapolis, Maryland which is not far from our homes.  It was built in the 'glued lapstrake' method.  It's length to beam ratio and flat bottom is such that it is quite stable even in a chop.  I'm not much of a sailor yet so I've enjoyed rowing it primarily on Middle River which is in the northern part of the Chesapeake Bay.  Lots and lots of compliments.  It weighs in at just over 100 pounds so it really runs like the devil when sailing with some wind.  Here's a pic of the Skerry, without her sail, below:

Ok, onto Pocketship....After completing the Skerry I found myself subscribing to the wooden boat building magazines, reading related books, visiting boatbuilding websites and forums.  Even took a course at the Woodenboat Building School in Brooklin, Maine last summer with my wife, Jennifer.   Great place; had a wonderful time.  Here's a pic of me at the WB school working on a strip built canoe:

Really started getting the itch to build another boat.  After much research, I decided on the Pocketship, again from Chesapeake Light Craft.  

The project is far above my head in terms of my experience and ability.  But I wanted this effort to be my  'apprenticeship' and I fully expect the build to go quite slow (+/- 1.5 years) with a lot of mistakes, redos - and much (understated) salty language.  My Dad is a both a surgeon and experienced woodworker - and all round great father.  So, between Dad and a few engineer/woodworker friends that I can call on when I'm stuck, I think I'll be ok.  Of course, John Harris, the owner of Chesapeake Light Craft, is always available for questions and suggestions.  Excellent service from John, Ed Wigglesworth, and his entire team at CLC - always.  Here's a link to CLC's website:  www.clcboats.com 

Thanks for joining in!  I'll need as much help as I can get so don't be shy about offering comments.  Glad to help you in any way....
Best wishes,  Jimmy V

1 comment: