Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Pocketship - Decision and Prep

Late last summer I was close to making a decision and leaning hard towards Pocketship.  Chesapeake Light Craft is only about an hour's drive from my home so I visited them early one morning so I could sit on their Pocketship for a few hours to get a 'feel' for the boat and to try and determine if this build was to far over my head. Discussed the project at length with Ed Wigglesworth and John Harris, both of whom I've come to know - and trust - from building the Skerry.  'Damn the torpedos!  Full speed ahead!!  I'll take it!'

My buddy, John Doherty, drove me down in his van the following week to pick up the skid that the kit was on.  Thanks John.  Brought it home to my shed and unwrapped her.  Very exciting actually.  Jeez, had the same feeling bringing my two children home from the hospital when they were born....

Preparation:  Got everything out of my garage (now my boatyard) that wasn't connected to the build.  Bought a few tools, respirator, and a good low-angle block plane.  Dad gave me a very nice contractor's table saw for Christmas last year which will come in very handy; and he brought over a ton of his tools for us to use.  Gave my chisels and plane irons a good sharpening

Hope Dad joins me regularly in the project.  He's 83 and doing well - thank God; me 57; so more days behind us than in front.  He's very knowledgeable and I learn a lot everytime he's around.  Actually have been learning at his heels for 57 wonderful years....

No comments:

Post a Comment